The State Hermitage Museum is one of the largest and oldest museums in the world. The collection of the museum includes over 3 million works of art and world culture artefacts. It contains paintings, graphic works, sculptures, works of applied art, archaeological artefacts and numismatic objects. The Hermitage is considered to have been founded in 1764, when Empress Catherine the Great acquired an impressive collection of works from the Berlin merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky. The Main Museum Complex consists of the Winter Palace, the Small Hermitage, the Great (Old) Hermitage, the Hermitage Theatre, the New Hermitage. The Winter Palace of Peter the Great, Menshikov Palace, East Wing and the Arch of the General Staff Building, the Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory are the exhibition complexes of the State Hermitage. The laboratories for scientific restoration and repository are located in the Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre. Exhibition Centres of the State Hermitage are opened in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Kazan and Vyborg, Russia. In a Decree by the President of the Russian Federation dated 18 December 1991 the State Hermitage Museum was included into a list of the objects of national heritage belonging to all the people of the Russian Federation. In a Decree by the President of the Russian Federation dated 12 June 1996 the State Hermitage Museum was placed under personal patronage of the President of the Russian Federation. According to the Statutes of the State Hermitage Museum the Government of the Russian Federation is to act as the museum founder.